Lemon-Coconut Breakfast Bars
- Yield: 16 pieces
Good-choice breakfast bars have a combination of simple sugars for instant energy, complex carbohydrates for more lasting energy, and a bit of healthy fat to further smooth over the morning hungries.
- 1 1/2tablespoons chia seeds
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 3/4cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded dried coconut, divided
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 2tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2tablespoons applesauce
- 1/4cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2cup soft Medjool dates (about 5 or 6), pits removed
- Preheat the oven to 300˚ F. Lightly grease an 8 × 8-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the chia seeds and lemon juice together. Set aside for 20 minutes to allow the chia seeds to become saturated and bulk up, stirring once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the oat flour, baking powder, salt, and ¾ cup coconut flakes. Sprinkle in the lemon zest and mix again until distributed. In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil, applesauce, and maple syrup or agave nectar. Mix in the soaked chia seeds. Chop the pitted Medjool dates very finely, and mix in with the other wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until blended. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking pan, using a spatula to flatten out the surface. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut on top, patting it down lightly into the mixture.
- Bake for 25–28 minutes, until the edges begin to turn golden brown. While warm, cut into 12–16 squares.
*If following a gluten-free diet, use gluten-free flour, available through natural food stores or online
Reprinted with permission from Superfood Kitchen © 2012 by Julie Morris, Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photography by Julie Morris.