Lentil Salad with Roasted Red Pepper Dressing
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
The flavor-packed red pepper dressing pairs well with the subtle tastes of lentils and walnuts in this Eastern-inspired salad.
- For the dressing
- 3 roasted red peppers packed in oil, roughly chopped
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- For the salad
- 1cup dried brown lentils
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4cup diced white onion
- 1/3cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 6ounces mixed salad greens
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon fresh thyme
- Combine dressing ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Rinse and sort lentils, picking out any irregular lentils, then add to a saucepan with two cups of water.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and cook, uncovered, over a low simmer (there should be only a few small bubbles in the water), for about 20 minutes. You may need to add more water while lentils cook (only add enough to barely cover lentils).
- When cooked (no longer hard), drain then return them to saucepan (heat off). Season with salt, ground black pepper, and fresh thyme.
- Allow lentils to cool to room temperature, then add celery and onion and mix well.
- Add about 1/4 cup of roasted red pepper dressing to the lentils. Reserve extra dressing for individual servings. Add walnuts and mix well.
- Place salad greens in individual bowls, and top with lentil salad.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese just before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Patricia Conte, the independent writer and food blogger behind Grab a Plate where she shares (mostly) healthy recipes and bites in between. She credits her love of cooking, baking, entertaining, and eating to her Italian immigrant family who is also passionate about all things food!