Linguine with Seared Oyster Mushrooms
- Yield: 2 servings
- 2cups oyster mushrooms
- -- whole-wheat vegan linguine
- 16ounces crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1tablespoon capers
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 4large basil leaves
- Chop the oyster mushrooms into very large pieces. Over high heat, sear them until they partially brown. Set them aside. Bring enough water to a boil to cook the pasta. Boil the pasta until it is just barely done. Drain. While the pasta is boiling, add the crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, capers, lemon juice, and optional crushed red pepper to a pot. Simmer this for about 5 minutes. Roll the basil leaves together and slice the roll along the width into thin strips. Plate the pasta, then pour the sauce over it and top with the fresh basil. Finish the dish off by topping each serving with the seared oyster mushrooms.
- The Gourmet Touch: Use half the oyster mushrooms, preparing them as above. In a separate pan, simmer ½ cup chanterelle mushrooms in white wine until they are soft. Remove the chanterelles from the white wine and mix them with the seared oyster mushrooms, topping the finished dish with them.
Tip: Crisping oyster mushrooms works best in an iron skillet.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Dr. Neal Barnard’s 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart (Grand Central Life & Style, 2011).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 385
- Fat 2g
- Sodium 693mg
- Carbohydrate 80g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugars 1g
- Protein 17g