Low Fat Pumpkin Pie
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces, lightly toasted
- 3/4cup oat flour (or finely grind 3/4 cup oats in food processor)
- 3/4cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/4cup organic canola oil
- 3tablespoons maple syrup
- 2tablespoons skim milk
- 1can organic pumpkin
- 2/3cup brown sugar
- 1tablespoon tapioca flour or cornstarch
- 3/4teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ginger
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- pinch ground cloves
- 1 egg yolk
- 1cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 egg whites
- Heat oven to 375F. Combine pecans, flours, cinnamon and salt in food processor and process until ground.
- In medium bowl, whisk oil and maple syrup. Add skim milk but do not stir. Mix in dry ingredients with fork until combined. Press into 9-inch pie pan (not deep dish), making sure crust extends all the way to the top, even a bit beyond. Then crimp edges with your fingers. Bake for 10 minutes then remove to cool.
- Combine filling ingredients, except egg whites, in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold whites into filling mixture, repeatedly folding until egg whites are fully incorporated.
- Pour filling into partially baked crust. Return to oven and bake about 45 minutes, until center is just set. The middle should still jiggle like jello, but should not slosh around like liquid. Cool well before serving.
Recipe courtesy of What Would Cathy Eat?