Pan-Seared Mahi Mahi and Citrus-Herb Salad with Whole Wheat Couscous and Caramelized Bell Pepper
A bright and citrusy salad is the perfect pairing with the rich, meaty flavors of mahi mahi.
- 12ounces mahi mahi (2 filets)
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 3/4cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 navel orange
- 1 shallot
- 1/2ounce parsley
- 1ounce green olives
- 1 lemon
- 2 1/2tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Halve, seed, and remove the white ribs from the bell pepper, then thinly slice. Toss the bell pepper on a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until soft and slightly caramelized.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the shallot. Zest the lemon, then cut into wedges. Pick the parsley leaves off the stems and chop half the leaves. Discard the stems. Thinly slice the olives. Zest the orange. Using your knife, slice off the ends of the orange. Place the orange flat on your cutting board and slice off the remaining peel by running your knife around the flesh, until only the inner fruit remains. Working over a medium bowl, hold the fruit in one hand and cut between each membrane to release the orange segments. Discard remaining orange core.
- In a small pot, bring 1 cup water to a boil with a large pinch of salt. Once boiling, add the couscous, cover, and remove from heat until the rest of the meal is ready.
- Cook the mahi mahi: heat ½ tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Season the mahi mahi with salt and pepper on both sides. Add the mahi mahi to the pan and cook about 3 minutes per side, until opaque. Hint: If you have a grill pan, this is a great time to use it!
- Make the citrus-herb salad: toss the olives, parsley leaves, ½ tablespoon olive oil, and the shallot (to taste) into the bowl with the orange segments. Season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon.
- Finish the couscous: fluff the couscous with a fork and stir in ½ tablespoon olive oil, the chopped parsley, orange and lemon zest (to taste), and a squeeze of lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plate the couscous, then top with the bell peppers and mahi mahi. Top with the citrus-herb salad and enjoy!
This recipe originally appeared on HelloFresh and is used with permission.