Maria’s Tomato Sauce and Ziti
- Yield: 6 servings
"For best flavor, don't omit the fresh basil."
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 2-- (28-ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1pound uncooked ziti or other small pasta
- 5-- or 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Working in two batches, place tomatoes in a blender and process 30 seconds or until smooth. Add to onion mixture. Stir in tomato paste, Italian seasoning and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well. Serve sauce over pasta and sprinkle with basil. Serves 6.