Massaged Kale Salad with Avocado Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- 1/2cup avocado, mashed
- 1/4cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- juice of one lime
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2cup water
- 1tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2teaspoons garlic salt
- 1pinch black pepper
- 5cups curly kale, destemmed
- 3/4cup avocado vinaigrette
- 1/2cup sprouts of your preference
- 1/3cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4cup red onion, diced
- 2tablespoons raw pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 1/2cups cherry tomatoes
- Place all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette inside of a food processor or blender, puree until completely smooth and the cilantro leaves are in very small pieces.
- Store the dressing in a jar or Tupperware container in the refrigerator, and begin prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- Once the kale is washed and the stems are cut out, tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces approximately 1-and-a-half inches in diameter and place them into a large bowl.
- Pour the avocado vinaigrette over the kale and, with clean hands, start massaging or kneading the leaves until they are evenly coated with the dressing and have reduced in size. This will take 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sprouts, chickpeas, red onion, and raw pepitas to the kale, tossing the salad lightly. Top with the cherry tomatoes and serve.
Jackie Sobon of the food blog Vegan Yack Attack, is passionate about creating innovative and tasty recipes that cater to the taste buds of everyone, vegan or not. On top of running her food blog, she also contributes to the Examiner, One Green Planet and the Vegan Voice. In her free time, you can find her dreaming up recipes while hiking, doing yoga, or cycling; talk about preemptive action!