Brisket of Beef
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 150 mins
Max’s on the Square typically adds 4 slices crustless rye bread cubes to the rich wine gravy during the last 30 minutes of cooking. For Passover, leave out the bread and the soy sauce.
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1-- (5-pound) beef brisket
- 12ounces tomato paste
- 1/8teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1pound chopped onion (about 4 medium onions)
- 1/4cup minced garlic (about 12 cloves)
- 750milliliters bottle burgundy wine or 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1teaspoon dried thyme
- 1teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1/2cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3cup water
- 1-- bay leaf
- 4slices crustless rye bread, cubed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet until hot. Add meat and sear over high heat until lightly browned.
- Rub brisket with tomato paste and pepper.
- Place onions in a large roasting pan. Place meat, fat side up, on top of onions.
- Combine garlic, wine, thyme, rosemary, soy sauce and water. Whisk. Pour over brisket. Add bay leaf to pan.
- Cover and bake 2½ to 3 hours, basting often with pan juices. Uncover; add rye bread, if using, and bake 30 minutes, until brisket is fork tender.
Recipe courtesy of Max's On the Square, San Francisco
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 480
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 15g
- Cholesterol 155mg
- Sodium 370mg
- Carbohydrate 12g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 59g
- Trans Fat 0g