Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
This whole grain salad can be served up as a light lunch, side with dinner or quick after school snack.
- 2cups water
- 1cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/3cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2cup kalamata olives
- 1/2cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Juice of one lemon
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed in quinoa. Fluff with a fork and cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the oil and vinegar and let quinoa come to room temperature.
- Add onion, tomatoes, pepper, olives, cilantro, and salt and pepper. Stir gently. Add feta cheese and gently combine. Chill for 2 hours to let flavors combine. Squeeze lemon juice over salad right before serving to brighten flavors.
Recipe and photo courtesy of two busy moms, friends and self-taught cooks, Lisa Riedl and Anna Schaber. Their mutual love of food and family inspired them to create the blog, Garnish with Lemon, to encourage other families to enliven their daily meals and enjoy the process of cooking and creating in the kitchen.