Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1-- (4-ounce) can green chiles
- 8ounces ground breakfast turkey sausage
- 1-- onion, chopped
- 1-- red, green, or yellow bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 5-- eggs
- 4-- egg whites
- 2cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2cups reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 5-- (8-inch) 98% fat-free tortillas, cut into quarters
- Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread green chilies along bottom of dish.
- In large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage until starts to brown. Add onion and bell pepper, cooking until sausage is done and vegetables tender. Add garlic and chili powder. Remove from heat. Cool.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and half-and-half. In another bowl, combine green onion and cheese.
- Spoon one-third of sausage mixture over chilies in baking dish. Top with one-third tortilla quarters and one-third cheese mixture. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole and refrigerate, covered, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven 350F. If using glass baking dish, place in cold oven and bake 50 to 60 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown and knife inserted into custard comes out clean.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 262
- Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 129mg
- Sodium 578mg
- Carbohydrate 23g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 18g