Miso Chicken Soup with Snow Peas and Tofu
- Yield: 6 servings
Make sure to use the water-packed firm tofu.
- 3pounds chicken quarters
- 12cups water
- 8slices fresh ginger, smashed lightly with the flat side of a knife
- 1/2cup miso paste
- 1pound water-packed firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 3/4pound snow or snap peas, strings removed
- 3tablespoons minced green onion
- Combine chicken and water and ginger in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce, heat, simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove chicken and cool. Discard ginger. Scoop out and reserve 1/2 cup broth.
- Remove the meat from the chicken, and shred. Discard skin and bones. Add chicken to broth. In small bowl, combine reserved broth and the miso paste; stir until smooth.
- Add tofu and snow peas to soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and add miso mixture, and stir well. Ladle soup into serving bowls; top with green onions.
Adapted from A Spoonful of Ginger by Nina Simonds.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 295
- Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 4.2g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2.3g
- Cholesterol 83mg
- Sodium 1074mg
- Carbohydrate 10.7g
- Fiber 2.3g
- Protein 38g