Mixed Baby Greens with Mustard Vinaigrette
- Yield: servings
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/2teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1small clove of garlic, minced
- 1tablespoon minced shallot (optional)
- 1pinch coarse salt or freshly ground black pepper
- To make the vinaigrette, in a large salad bowl combine the olive oil, the vinegar, mustard and tarragon, garlic, shallot and sea salt. Season with pepper. Using a wooden spoon or whisk, mix until emulsified.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Using a paring knife, score each avocado in half down the peel, cutting parallel lines lengthwise 1/2 inch apart. Rotate the half 90 degrees and cut a second series of parallel lines perpendicular to the first series to create squares. Using a large spoon, scoop the squares from each half into the vinaigrette in the bowl.
- Add the tomato to the bowl and stir gently to coat the tomato and avocado with vinaigrette. Add the greens and toss until they are evenly coated. Serve at once.
Reprinted with permission from Simply Fresh, Casual Dining at Home by Jeff Morgan. © Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC 2011