Molasses, Miso, and Maple Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 1/2pounds sweet potatoes or garnet yams, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1-- (2-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2tablespoons molasses
- 1teaspoon tamari or shoyu
- 2tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1tablespoon white or yellow miso
- 1/4cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 6tablespoons filtered water
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
In a large bowl, toss the yams with 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil.
Spread the sweet potatoes on a parchment-lined or well-greased baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 50 minutes, turning over with a fork after 25 minutes.
Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and lower the heat to 375F.
Place the cinnamon stick at the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish, and add the sweet potatoes in layers. Set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the molasses, tamari, maple syrup, miso, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, and the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil. Pour over the sweet potatoes.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, thoroughly basting the sweet potatoes every 10 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from The Inspired Vegan by Bryant Terry, De Capo Lifelong Books.