Mushroom Merlot Beef
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound ground beef (95% lean)
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon pepper
- 4large portobello mushrooms
- 4slices French bread, cut diagonally 1/2 inch thick
- 2ounces goat cheese (1/2 cup)
- 4-- romaine lettuce leaves
- -- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1teaspoon olive oil
- 2tablespoons minced shallots
- 1cup Merlot or other dry red wine
- 1/4cup ready-to-serve beef broth
- 2teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1tablespoon butter
- 2teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- To prepare sauce, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add shallots; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until caramelized. Stir in wine, broth and thyme. Cook over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Combine butter and flour; whisk into sauce. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover; keep warm.
- Combine ground beef, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Set aside.
- Place mushrooms on grid over medium, ash-covered coals; grill, uncovered, 16 to 18 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. About 10 minutes before mushrooms are done, move mushrooms to outer edge of grid. Place patties on center of the grid; grill 8 to 10minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Place bread slices on grid; grill until toasted, turning once.
- Reheat sauce, if necessary. Spread 1/2 of cheese on toasted bread slices. Top each with lettuce leaf, mushroom and burger; drizzle evenly with sauce. Crumble remaining goat cheese over tops; sprinkle with parsley, as desired.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Recipe reprinted from The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by John Wiley & Sons.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 454
- Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 7g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 79mg
- Sodium 557mg
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Fiber 3.5g
- Protein 33g