Mushroom Pancake Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
These savory mushroom patties are layered with tomato, cucumber and Greek yogurt to make a refreshing salad stack.
- Mushroom pancakes:
- 2large eggs
- 2cups low-fat milk
- 1tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1teaspoon hot sauce
- 1cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- 1pound mushrooms, roughly chopped
- -- Butter or cooking spray for the skillet
- 3-- cloves garlic, pressed
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon cumin
- To complete the mushroom pancake stacked salad:
- 1/2cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2-- tomatoes, sliced
- 1-- cucumber, sliced
- 2-- bell peppers, sliced
- To make the savory mushroom pancakes: In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, soy sauce, hot sauce, flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Pulse the chopped mushrooms in a food processor until very finely minced.
- Melt a little butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the finely diced mushrooms, garlic, salt and cumin to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently to release moisture. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until all the moisture has evaporated. Remove skillet from heat and cool to room temperature.
- When mushroom mixture has cooled, stir into the egg-milk batter.
- Prepare another skillet with cooking spray or melt a little butter in the skillet over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet, spreading with the back of a spoon to form a 4- to 5-inch disc. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until pancake has been cooked through. Repeat until you are out of batter.
- To complete the mushroom pancake stacked salad: Mix Greek yogurt and Dijon mustard together in a small bowl.
- Spread one pancake with a small spoonful of the yogurt mixture. Layer one slice tomato, one slice cucumber and one slice bell pepper on top of the pancake. Repeat so stacked salad has 2 yogurt covered pancakes and 2 slices of all the veggies.
- Repeat process until you have made several stacked salads and are out of pancakes.
Recipe by Donna of Fab Frugal Food.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 272
- Fat 5g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 111mg
- Sodium 788mg
- Potassium 1124mg
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugars 14g
- Protein 19g