Mustard and Herb Roasted Chicken Breasts with Artichokes, Mushrooms, and Green Tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1can (14-ounce) artichoke hearts, drained, or 1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichokes, thawed
- 6 baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1small green tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2cup dry white wine
- 1/4cup chicken stock
- 3/4teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1/4teaspoon cracked black pepper, divided
- 1tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1teaspoon honey
- 1/2teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4teaspoon fresh thyme
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large, deep casserole dish or cast-iron skillet, place the onion slices, artichokes, mushrooms, and green tomatoes. Pour the white wine and stock over the vegetables. Add 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt and 1⁄8 teaspoon of the pepper.
- In a small bowl mix together the mustard, honey, mustard seeds, lemon juice, thyme, sage, garlic, remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper. Rub the mixture on the chicken breasts. Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables in the pan. Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken.
- Bake the chicken and vegetables for 40 minutes or until the chicken is done. Transfer the chicken breasts and vegetables to a serving platter. Pour the pan drippings into a medium sauté pan and skim the fat off the top. Cook over medium-high heat until the liquid has reduced by half. Serve the roasted chicken breasts and vegetables with the pan juices.
Images reproduced with permission of Nelson Books from Whitney Miller’s New Southern Table by Whitney Miller. ©2016 by Justin Fox Burks. All rights reserved.