Mustardy Mushroom Stroganoff
- Yield: servings
- -- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- -- ½ small onion, sliced
- -- 5 oz. mixed mushrooms, chopped if large
- -- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- -- 1 teaspoon (preferably) grainy mustard
- -- ½ teaspoon tomato paste
- -- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- -- salt and black pepper
- -- freshly chopped parsley, to serve (optional)
Put 3 tablespoons of the stock in a saucepan. Add the onion, cover the pan, and cook for about 4 minutes or until the onion has softened and the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in the mushrooms, garlic, and some salt and pepper, then add the remaining stock, mustard, and tomato paste. Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes, then remove the lid and cook rapidly for 2 minutes to reduce the liquid to a syrup. Stir in the sour cream and parsley, if using, and serve immediately with rice or couscous.
Serve with basmati and wild rice (which is really good for you!) or couscous, together with some green beans or cabbage.
From: The Vegetarian Student Cookbook: Great Grub for the Hungry and the Broke. Ryland Peters & Small, www.rylandpeters.com. $16.95