My Cobb Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2-1/2ounce smoked bacon, rind removed, cut into matchsticks
- 1head iceberg lettuce, chopped (4 cups)
- 2-- ripe heirloom tomatoes, cored, peeled, seed, and chopped
- 1-- large ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cubed
- 4ounces chilled blue cheese (preferably Roquefort), crumbled (1 cup)
- 4-- small spring onions or scallions, white part only, trimmed, peeled, and cut into thin rounds
- -- coarse, freshly ground black pepper
- In a large, dry skillet, brown the bacon over moderate heat until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to several layers of paper towels to absorb the fat. Blot the top of the bacon with several layers of paper towels to absorb any additional fat. Set aside.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine the bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cheese, and spring onions. Toss with just enough dressing to lightly and evenly coat the ingredients. Season generously with pepper, and serve with a yogurt and lemon dressing.
This recipe appears with publisher's permission from "Salad as a Meal" by Patricia Wells (William Morrow).