Navy Bean Bruschetta
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1-- (15-ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1cup baby spinach, rinsed, picked through and sliced
- 1/2cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-- shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar
- -- Salt and pepper
- 6-- thick slices crusty whole-wheat bread
- 2-- garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, to grill the bread
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Toss the navy beans, spinach, cherry tomatoes, shallot, thyme and olive oil together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Rub the bread with garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Grill the bread for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until the bread has reached the desired level of crunch.
- To make the bruschetta topping, toss the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Rub the bread with olive oil and the garlic cloves. Grill both sides of the bread.
- Spoon a generous portion of the navy bean topping on each slice of toasted bread. Top with fresh cracked black pepper and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.
Recipe by Jen of Domestic Divas.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 170
- Fat 7.3g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 3mg
- Sodium 243mg
- Potassium 259mg
- Carbohydrate 20g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugars 1g
- Protein 7g