Navy Bean Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1tablespoon water
- 1teaspoon grapeseed oil or other oil
- 1cup diced carrot
- 1cup diced celery
- 1cup diced onion
- 2cloves of garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 4cups vegetable broth
- 2cups cooked or canned navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-- bay leaf
- 2cups chopped kale
- 1tablespoon sweet white miso, mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- -- Ground black pepper
- Heat the water and oil in a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, and oregano. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, beans, and bay leaf and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. If you prefer a thicker soup, process half the soup in batches in a blender until smooth and return the blended mixture to the pot.
- Add the kale, diluted miso, salt, and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick, add a little more broth or water to achieve the desired consistency. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
–From The Natural Vegan Kitchen by Christine Waltermyer