- Yield: 16 servings
- 1cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 2cups buttermilk
- 1tablespoon canola oil
- 1-- egg
- 2-- egg whites
- 3tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2cups whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- In large bowl, combine oatmeal and buttermilk; let stand 2 minutes. Beat in oil, egg, egg whites, sugar and vanilla.
- In small bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to oatmeal mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Heat a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup batter per pancake, cook pancakes 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Note: To freeze, let cool to room temperature and transfer to zip top freezer bags, label and freeze. Before serving, defrost and reheat in the microwave or in a skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray over low heat until thoroughly warmed.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg and Gerald Miletello’s Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Recommendations During and After Treatment (2001).