Orzo With Shrimp, Peas, Herbs, and Feta
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2cups shelled fresh or frozen peas
- 1pound medium shrimp (about 30 per pound), peeled and deveind
- 1large lemon
- 1/2cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4cup fresh mint leaves
- 12ounces whole-wheat orzo
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1small onion, diced
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2ounces feta cheese (1/3 cup crumbled)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the orzo. While the water is heating, if using fresh peas, steam or boil them for 2 minutes until crisp-tender (or thaw frozen peas). Rinse the shrimp and pat dry, zest and juice the lemon, and coarsely chop the basil and mint.
- Add the orzo to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes less than the time indicated on the package. Right after you add the orzo to the water, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are pink and nearly cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the orzo, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water, and return it to the pot over medium heat. Add the shrimp mixture, peas, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper to the pot and cook, stirring, until combined and the shrimp is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the pasta water a tablespoon at a time if necessary to loosen the mixture. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and mint. Crumble and stir in the feta cheese.
Reprinted with permission from the publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, from Weeknight Wonders by Ellie Krieger. Photography by Quentin Bacon. Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 600
- Fat 17 g
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 8.4 g
- Carbohydrate 72 g
- Fiber 1.7 g
- Protein 39 g