Overnight, Slow Cooker, Cherry Almond Steel-Cut Oatmeal
- Yield: 7 servings
- 3/4cup dried tart cherries
- 1 apple, peeled and grated (approx. 1 cup grated); or 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 1/2cups water
- 1cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2teaspoon almond extract
- 1tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.
- To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup almond milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.
- Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.
Optional garnishes: toasted sliced almonds, maple syrup or additional almond milk.
Recipe courtesy of Monica, a mid-western home cook who has developed a large, loyal following to her blog The Yummy Life with her practical approach to making recipes easier, healthier, and tastier. She takes detailed step-by-step photos of all of her recipes making it easy for even beginning cooks to follow along. The Yummy Life’s extensive recipe index is loaded with simplified, healthy makeovers of Monica’s favorites and everything is family-friendly, time-tested, and, well….yummy!