Parsley-Mint Pesto with Lemon
- Yield: 1 cups
- 1/2cup pine nuts
- 1/2cup packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/4cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, or more as needed
- 2tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Place the pine nuts in a small dry skillet and set the pan over medium heat.
2. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the nuts are golden brown and toasted, shaking the pan frequently.
3. Transfer the nuts to a blender and add the parsley, mint, broth, cheese, garlic, oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of the finely grated lemon zest.
4. Puree until smooth, adding more broth if necessary to create a thick pesto. Season to taste with salt and pepper.