- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Artichokes packed without oil are available in cans and jars and in the frozen food section of most supermarkets.
- 12ounces pasta shells (about 2 cups)
- 1-- jar water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 2 to 3cups button mushrooms (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4cup cider vinegar
- 1/3cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 2teaspoons stone-ground or Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2cup chopped green onions
- 1-- garlic clove
- 1/2teaspoon each dried basil and oregano
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 3tablespoons water
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1small red bell pepper, diced
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot, then add pasta. Cook until pasta is just tender. Rinse, drain, and place in a large bowl. Add the artichoke hearts and mushrooms.
- In a blender, combine the vinegars, lemon juice, mustard, 1/4 cup green onions, garlic, seasonings, and water. Process until smooth. Pour over pasta, and allow to marinate until pasta is cool. Add the remaining green onions, parsley, and red bell pepper and gently toss to mix.
Recipe from Food for Life by Neal Barnard, M.D.