- Yield: 4 servings
- 1medium zucchini
- 1medium yellow squash
- 8ounces whole-wheat fusilli or penne pasta
- 1large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- -- Juice and grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2cup pitted Kalamata or other Italian or Greek black olives, sliced
- 1/2cup chopped fresh basil
- 1ounce grated Parmesan cheese (see note)
- -- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- 4sprigs fresh basil
- Cut the zucchini and squash in half lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scrape the seeds out of each half. Cut crosswise into 1 ⁄2- inch- thick crescents.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the red pepper when 5 minutes remain to cook the pasta and adding the zucchini and squash with 2 minutes remaining. Drain the pasta and vegetables and place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, whisk the lemon juice and zest with the olive oil.
- Add the lemon juice– oil mixture, olives, basil, and cheese and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Garnish each serving with a sprig of basil.
NOTE: 1 ounce Parmesan equals about 1 ⁄2 cup freshly grated cheese or 1 ⁄4 cup packaged grated cheese.
Content from THE ULTIMATE VOLUMETRICS DIET, compliments of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 310
- Fat 8g
- Carbohydrate 51g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 13g