Pear, Pomegranate and Candied Walnut Salad
This light salad combines several flavors with fruit, nuts and cheese.
- 1large head Romaine lettuce, washed and torn into pieces
- 2 ripe Bartlett pears, sliced
- 1 pomegranate
- 1cup walnut halves
- 1/4cup sugar
- 1/2cup light feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/8cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 2teaspoons creamy Dijon mustard
- 3-4teaspoons honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small non-stick fry pan add walnuts and sugar over medium heat. Stir until sugar melts and turns to a light brown color and coats the walnuts. Set aside to cool.
- In a small jar add the vinegar, oil, mustard, honey and salt and pepper. Place the lid on and shake well. This can be made ahead of time as it only gets better.
- Lay out the lettuce on a large platter. Top with pear slices. Sprinkle with the feta. Add the walnuts into the center. Cut the pomegranate in half and with the back of a wooden spoon bang the pomegranate holding it over the salad. The seeds will then fall out.
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Tara Noland, a nurse turned family cooking blogger who enjoys developing easy, fast and healthy meals to serve the family. Find more family friendly recipes at http://noshingwiththenolands.com.