Penne with Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini
Grilled eggplant, zucchini, and feta pair well together in this Italian-inspired dish!
- 1large eggplant
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2small zucchini
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1large tomato
- 16ounces package of whole wheat penne
- handful fresh basil, torn
- 1/4cup feta, crumbled
- 2cups shredded chicken breast (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill large pot with water, and place over high heat to boil. Preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Trim ends off eggplant. Slice in half then into ¾″ strips lengthwise. Place in colander in the sink, toss with salt and let sit for about 10 minutes. While eggplant is sitting, trim the ends off of your zucchini and cut each one into thirds, lengthwise. After 10 minutes, rinse eggplant and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Toss eggplant and zucchini strips with 1 T. olive oil. Place on grill or grill pan and cook for 8 minutes, turning once halfway through. You might have to work in two batches.
- Place grilled eggplant and zucchini onto a cutting board to cool.
- While vegetables are on the grill, boil your penne according to package directions.
- Chop tomato and grilled eggplant and zucchini into ¾″ chunks.
- Drain pasta and pour it back into the pot. Toss with eggplant, zucchini, tomato, basil, chicken, feta and remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Alysa Bajenaru, who channels her life-long passion for nutrition & fitness into encouraging content for readers at inspiredRD.com. Registered Dietitian turned advocate for healthy living in body & soul, Alysa shares recipes for all diets, fitness for the whole family, and stories from the frontlines of her work in justice advocacy. Meet Alysa and find what inspires you at inspiredRD.com.