Pepperoni Pizza Mac and Cheese
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- 13ounces whole wheat rotini
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4cups lowfat milk
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2teaspoon dried parsley
- 1cup lowfat cottage cheese
- 1/2cup shredded fontina
- 1/2cup shredded parmesan
- 1/2cup shredded mozzarella
- 3ounces pepperoni, sliced into thin strips
- 1medium tomato, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook rotini according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook while constantly whisking for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Slowly stream in milk while whisking and whisk until well mixed.
- Add in oregano, basil, and parsley. Bring milk to a simmer, whisking frequently. Simmer for 5-6 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cottage cheese, fontina, parmesan, and mozzarella until melted. Then add in pepperoni, tomato, salt and pepper.
- Add cooked rotini to the cheese sauce and toss to coat. Pour into a 13×9 baking dish. Sprinkle panko evenly on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until edges are bubbly and panko is browned and crunchy.
Recipe courtesy of Cassie Johnson who by day is a higher ed marketing expert, but after hours obsessed with all things health and wellness. Her recipes and articles have appeared on websites for major brands and in the pages of glossy food magazines. Find her daily fitness and food adventures (and misadventures) at Back to Her Roots.