Pintos and Rice Burger
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1can (15 oz/420 g) pinto beans, drained
- 2cups (330 g) cooked brown or white rice
- 1cup (180 g) diced tomatoes
- 1cup (160 g) diced onions
- 1/2cup (70 g) yellow cornmeal
- 1/2cup (62 g) all-purpose flour
- 1-- jalapeno pepper, seeded if desired, and diced
- 1tablespoon (15 g) minced garlic
- 1teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco or Tapatio)
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- -- Salt and pepper
- -- Oil, for frying (optional)
In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and knead with your hands.
Form into 8 patties and cook as desired.
Panfry in plenty of oil for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until golden and crispy, or bake, uncovered, at 350 F (180 C or gas mark 4) for 15 minutes on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat, then flip and bake for 15 minutes longer, until firm and just beginning to brown.
Serving suggestions: This patty works in several ways: as a burger, on a toasted bun smothered with guacamole and topped with a few slices of jalapenos; served up with a side of chips and salsa or a grilled ear of corn on the cob; or sandwiched in a flour tortilla and grilled quesadilla style.
–This recipe reprinted with permission from the cookbook The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet by Joni Marie Newman.