Pita Bread Salad
- Yield: servings
- 2-- pita bread rounds, cut into 1 ½ inch squares
- 2tablespoons plus ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 2-- large cucumbers, halved, seeded, peeled, and diced
- 1pint pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-- scallions, chopped
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8-- pepperoncini, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Arrange the pita squares evenly on a baking sheet. Bake 5-8 minutes, until crisp and lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic and heat for 1 minute, until softened but not browned. Set aside.
- In a serving bowl, toss the cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, mint, parsley, cumin, and lemon juice with the remaining ½ cup of oil. Add the garlic, toasted pita squares, salt, pepper and gently toss with your fingers until mixed. Serve with pepperoncini. Serves 6.
Reprinted with permission from Cat Cora’s Classics With a Twist, by Cat Cora (Houghton Mifflin Harcort).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 283
- Fat 23g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 443mg
- Carbohydrate 17g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 3g