Poached Plums with Spices and Ginger
- Yield: 4 servings
- 12large plums (more if small)
- 1/2cup superfine sugar
- 1cup water
- 2whole star anise
- 6whole cloves
- 3-- lumps of preserved ginger in syrup
- 4tablespoons syrup from the preserved ginger
- Wipe plums and remove stalks.
- Stir sugar and water together in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, then add star anise, cloves, chopped ginger and ginger syrup. Add plums, reduce heat, and partially cover with a lid. Cook until plums are soft and melted, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm, three fruits per person, in little dishes or glasses, with some of the syrup spooned over.
Reprinted with permission from Ripe: A Cook in the Orchard by Nigel Slater, copyright © 2010, 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 234
- Fat 0.5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 2mg
- Carbohydrate 59g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 1.4g