- Yield: 6 servings
- 6- or 12-cup muffin pan, 6 cups greased
- 4cups water
- Pinch salt
- 1cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 2tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1clove garlic
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 10 olives, chopped
- 5 stalks asparagus, chopped
- 5 leaves spinach, trimmed and chopped
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) plum (Roma) tomatoes
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot, bring water and salt to a boil over high heat. Gradually pour in cornmeal, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until cornmeal is softened and thick. Spoon into prepared muffin cups. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add carrot, zucchini, olives, asparagus and spinach and sauté for about 5 minutes or until carrots start to soften. Stir in tomatoes and oregano. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: Be sure to use a fine cornmeal to ensure it cooks quickly.
Excerpted from “The Best 30-Minute Vegetarian Recipes” by Marie-Claude Morin, Robert Rose Inc. 2011.www.robertrose.ca. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.