Pork Loin with Roasted Pears and Shallots
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- 3tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-- pork loin (about 4 pounds)
- 12ounces shallots, peeled and halved or quartered (about 2 cups)
- 3medium unpeeled pears, cut into wedges
- 3/4teaspoon salt, divided
- 3cloves garlic, sliced
- sprig Fresh thyme
- 2tablespoons butter
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- -- Coarsely ground black pepper
- In a large zip-top plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons oil, soy sauce and lemon juice. Add pork and coat evenly. Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a roasting pan, toss shallots and pears with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Remove meat from marinade and drain, reserving marinade. Make slits in top of pork; insert sliced garlic and thyme sprigs. Place pork in roasting pan in center of pear mixture. Roast 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325F and cook until meat reaches 145 to 150F, about 40 minutes.
- While meat roasts, melt butter and whisk in flour. Cook over medium heat until golden brown. Pour in broth and reserved marinade; whisk to break up lumps. Cook until thick, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in thyme. Remove from heat.
- Remove pork from oven. Let meat stand 5 minutes before slicing. (If shallots are not well caramelized, remove pork and set in warm place, covered with foil. Increase oven temperature to 400F, place shallots and pears back in oven, and cook until caramelized, 10 to 15 minutes more.)
- Reheat gravy over low heat. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Slice pork and serve with gravy.
Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 440
- Glycemic Load 3
- Fat 16g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat 8g3
- Cholesterol 155mg
- Sodium 450mg
- Potassium 1140mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 50g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 15%
- Vitamin C 15%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 20%