Gluten-Free Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies
- Yield: 11 servings
- 1/3cup oil
- 1/2cup brown sugar
- 1cup sorghum
- 1whole egg
- 1/2cup canned pumpkin
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3cup shortening (for filling)
- 3/4cup confectioners' sugar (for filling)
- 4ounces cream cheese (for filling)
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract (for filling)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the oil and sugar. Beat well. Add the sorghum flour and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once during mixing. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Continue beating until the dough comes together; it will be soft and airy.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared pan. Press to 1⁄4-inch thickness with moist fingertips.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cookies just begin to brown at the edges. Let cool on wire racks.
- For the filling, blend all the ingredients until light and fluffy. Press a tablespoon of filling between two cookies (bottom sides facing) and press together to form a sandwich. Repeat to make the other sandwiches.
From the book The Ultimate Gluten-Free Cookie Book, by Roben Ryberg. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2010.