Quick Collard Greens
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- -- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 5bunches collard greens, stems removed and cut into bite-size pieces
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 1cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes, if desired
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add the olive oil, yellow onion, salt, and black pepper.
- Cook the onions for 4 minutes or until translucent; add the garlic and crushed red pepper, and cook for another minute.
- Add the collard greens, in batches if necessary, alternating with the chicken broth, and cook stirring frequently, until they begin to wilt.
- Bring to a simmer, cook the greens for 12 to 14 minutes, or until they are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the vinegar and butter, if desired. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, copyright MSLO, Inc., all rights reserved