Quinoa with Roasted Butternut Squash and Cranberries
- Yield: 6 servings
I love all the colors and the slight bite that the vinegar gives the dish. For a special touch when I'm having this as a main course, I like to top it with goat cheese. Any soft cheese would work! Make it quick: If you are short on time you can buy frozen diced butternut squash that can be cooked in a fraction of the time it takes to cook fresh squash. Start with cooked quinoa and you can have this dish together in no time.
- 12ounces butternut squash, diced
- 1-- red onion, diced
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4cloves garlic
- 1/2cup dried cranberries
- 1/2cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss squash, onion, sage and thyme with 2 T olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Warm cooked quinoa and combine with cranberries and pecans.
- Toss balsamic vinegar, 1 T olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. Combine squash and quinoa mixture and toss with dressing.
Reprinted with permission from Wendy Polisi's The Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook (Skyhorse Publishing, 2012).
Learn more about cooking with quinoa from Relish Cooking Show Chef Brian Morris.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 230
- Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0g
- Sodium 5mg
- Carbohydrate 23g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 4g