- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 3pounds fresh tomatoes, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2pounds zucchini, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 3 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium eggplants, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch dice
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- Basil, chopped, to taste
- 1cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-low heat and sauté tomatoes for ten minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add zucchini to pot and sauté for 10 minutes. Set aside with the tomatoes.
- Repeat process with bell peppers, then onions, then eggplants, and then garlic, 5 minutes each.
- Return all the cooked ingredients back to the pot, along with the chopped herbs and chicken broth, and cook on low for at least 30 minutes. If you can cook longer at very low temperature, the taste will be more intense. If the ratatouille becomes too dry, you can add more chicken broth. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Can be served hot or cold.
Recipe Credit: Reprinted with permission from LEBOOTCAMP DIET: The Scientifically-Proven French Method to Eat Well, Lose Weight and Keep it Off For Good by Valerie Orsoni, from Berkley Books, April 2015.