Raw Brussels Sprout Salad
- Yield: 2 to 3 servings
This is a great pre-dinner salad, an accompaniment to something heavier, or made more substantial by adding more walnuts per serving.
- 20 Brussels sprouts
- 1/4cup very thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2/3teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- High-quality sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Trim the ends from each Brussels sprout deeply, about half an inch each. Peel the leaves off individually and add to a large mixing bowl until only the inner, compactly grown leaves are left. Discard this inner part.
- Add the shallots, walnuts, caraway seeds and the raw apple cider vinegar.
- Add a tiny amount of olive oil, if desired, and adjust seasonings, to taste.
NOTE: This salad is best left in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving, so that the raw Brussels sprouts leaves can marinate and be somewhat softened by the raw apple cider vinegar. Try to make it in the morning or early afternoon, so it can be ready by dinner.
Reprinted with permission from The Beauty Detox Foods by Kimberly Snyder, C.N. Harlequin, 2013.