Raw Kale Salad
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1bunch lacinato kale (also sold as Tuscan and dinosaur kale), middle ribs removed (about 5 cups)
- 3tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 to 2 lemons, depending on size)
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup unsalted almonds, chopped
- 1/4cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or pecorino cheese
- 1/4-1/3cup dried bread crumbs
- Wash the kale leaves and dry thoroughly in a salad spinner. Stack several leaves in a small pile and cut into thin strips (also known as to chiffonade).
- Place the chopped kale in a medium-size bowl and add the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and salt. With your hands, massage the seasonings into the kale; this not only ensures even coverage but also helps tenderize the raw greens. Allow the greens to sit and marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Toss in the almonds, and taste. There is usually so much fl avor that the cheese and bread crumbs are unnecessary, but they are terrific extras that really gild the lily.
Keeps for 2 days in the refrigerator.
Reprinted with permission from The Meat Lover’s Meatless Celebrations: Year Round Vegetarian Feasts (You Can Really Sink Your teeth Into) by Kim O’Donnel.