Real Cream of Tomato Soup
- Yield: servings
- 2-3pounds tomatoes (home-grown if possible), quartered
- 1/2-- medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1-2clove garlic
- 1cup cream
- -- salt to taste
- -- chili flakes (optional)
- 4leaves basil, cut into chiffonade
- Place the tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a 7-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours, until the tomatoes are soft and falling apart.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, puree the mixture until the desired texture is achieved. Stir in the cream and add the salt to taste. If needed, you can add some water, but this will most likely not be necessary. Add the chile flakes to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each bowl with the basil.
—From 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley / Andrews McMeel Publishing