Rebecca Katz’s Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- Yield: servings
- 3pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil, melted, or olive oil
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 to 8cups vegetable broth or Magic Mineral Broth (recipe below)
Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the sweet potatoes with the coconut oil until they're evenly coated. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 teaspoon of the salt with the cinnamon, allspice, cardamom, and nutmeg and stir until well combined. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the potatoes and toss again until evenly coated.
Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer on the prepared pan and roast for 40 minutes, until tender.
Pour 1/3 cup of the broth into a blender, add one-third of the roasted potatoes, and blend until smooth, adding more liquid as needed. Transfer to a soup pot over low heat and repeat the process two more times. Stir in any remaining broth, along with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, before serving.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Storage: Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.