Red Cabbage and Beet Slaw
Enjoy this heart-healthy slaw at a grill-out or barbecue this summer.
- 8cups red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2large beets, shredded
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2cup low-fat olive oil based mayonnaise
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon honey
- 2tablespoons cider vinegar
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- Combine cabbage, beets and onion in a large bowl.
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, hone and cider in another bowl.
- Mix the dressing into the cabbage mixture and add seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill for 30 minutes before serving to soften the cabbage.
Recipe courtesy of Kristi Rimkus: When Kristi lost 40 pounds more than 18 years ago, she learned to maintain that weight loss by cooking family pleasing, low calorie meals. Her passion for healthy cooking prompted her to obtain a nutrition certification and author Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 137
- Fat 7.35 g
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Sodium 179 mg
- Carbohydrate 16.36 g
- Fiber 3.40 g
- Sugars 7.68 g
- Protein 3.20 g