Red Fruit Mini Crumbles
- Yield: 6 pieces
- 1cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1/2cup light brown sugar
- 1/2cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 8tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and chilled
- Fruit Filling
- 2tablespoons organic coconut oil plus extra for oiling the ramekins
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1/4cup honey
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 apples (Gala or Pink Lady), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1pint strawberries, hulled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1pint raspberries
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. To make the oatmeal topping, in a medium bowl, combine the oats, sugar, flour, walnuts, and salt and mix well. Add the chilled butter cubes and work the mixture with two knives or your hands until clumps form.
3. To make the fruit filling, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt the oil. Add the sugar, honey, and lemon juice and cook until the sugar is melted. Stir in the apples, raise the heat to medium high and cook, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes, or until they begin to soften and release their liquid. Stir in the cornstarch and cook, stirring frequently, until the apples are tender but not mushy and the liquid is clear, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the strawberries and raspberries and the vanilla.
4. Divide the mixture among six 4-inch ramekins, filling them about three-quarters full. Top each with a generous 2 tablespoons of the oatmeal mixture. Transfer the ramekins to a baking sheet. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown, about 35 minutes. (Keep an eye on ’em! Cooking time may vary.) Let stand to cool slightly, and serve with whipped cream, if desired.
From Relish by Daphne Oz. Copyright (c) 2013 by Daphne Oz. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.