Roasted Beet Salad with Grapefruit and Chive Vinaigrette
- Yield: servings
- 1large Egg (For Vinaigrette)
- 1/4cup White wine vinegar (For Vinaigrette)
- 1/2cup Chopped chives (For Vinaigrette)
- 1/4cup Flaxseed Oil (For Vinaigrette)
- 1/2cup Canola Oil
- 1pinch Salt (For Vinaigrette)
- 1pound Beets, trimmed (For Salad)
- 1/4cup Olive Oil (For Salad)
- 4cups Organic Mixed Greens (For Salad)
- 2large Grapefruits, segmented (For Salad)
- 1head Fennel, shaved or sliced thinly (For Salad)
- 1pinch Salt and Pepper (For Salad)
- To make the vinaigrette, put the egg, vinegar, and chives in a food processor and blend until well mixed. Combine the oils, and then slowly add them to the food processor. Blend until the mixture begins to emulsify and turn pale green. If the mixture gets too thick, add up to 1/4 cup of water. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- To make the salad, preheat the oven to 400ÅãF. Lightly toss the beets in the olive oil and salt to taste and place on a baking sheet. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, or until tender. Let cool and then peel and cut the beets into a large dice.
- On a large plate, arrange the mixed greens, beets, grapefruit segments, and fennel. Finish with the chive vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
From the book Eat to Defeat Menopause by Dr. Mache Seibel and Karen Giblin. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2011.
Want more help? Check out this step-by-step video on how to section citrus.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 638g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 10g
- Monounsaturated Fat 30g
- Sodium 155mg
- Potassium 1036mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Fiber 8g
- Protein 6g
- Calcium 108mg
- Iron 2mg