Roasted Beet Salad
This vibrant salad will be sure to wow your dinner guests!
- 4medium beets
- olive oil for coating
- For the Dressing
- 1teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the Salad
- 6ounces chevre (goat cheese)
- 1 batch caramelized onions
- 1/3cup candied walnuts
- 3/4cup alfalfa sprouts
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Rinse the beets and pat dry. Place in a covered baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and rub into the skins.
- Bake covered for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until they can be easily pierced with a fork. The time will vary greatly on the size and freshness of the beets.
- Allow to cool, then peel off skin. Dice into 1/2-inch cubes.
For the Dressing:
- Whisk the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper together and set aside.
For the Salad:
- Toss the diced beet with the dressing.
- On each of six plates layer the ingredients in the following order: beets, chèvre, onions, walnuts, then alfalfa sprouts. The ring from a mini springform pan can be used for a more structured salad, or the salad can be layered free-form.
- Serve immediately, or chill for up to 1 hour before serving.
- Recipe courtesy of Dawn: An avid cook and lover of photography, Dawn DeMeo turned to food blogging at Dawn’s Recipes as a means of sharing her talents with those who share her interests. She finds inspiration for her recipes shopping local farmers markets and through Community Supported Agriculture (CSA).