Rocco DiSpirito's Italian Wedding Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 25 minutes
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1 9-oz bag escarole, roughly chopped
- 4cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4large egg whites
- 1ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and onions and cook until the onions soften, about 2 minutes. Add the escarole; reduce the heat to medium and cook until the escarole wilts to half of its original volume, about 5 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add 2 cups water, and boil to fully cook the escarole until the water is evaporated.
- Add the chicken broth, bring to a simmer, and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat, then add the egg whites, stirring until they start to coagulate. Then stop stirring so the egg whites form long strands.
- Ladle the soup into 4 soup bowls and top with the Parmigiano and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Recipe courtesy of Now Eat This! Italy With Rocco DiSpirito
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 125
- Fat 9g