Quick Chicken and Rice
- Yield: 4 servings
- Cook: 30 minutes
Carve your purchased bird into 8 or so whole pieces, as you would a basic roast chicken, to best approximate a paella “from scratch.”
- 2cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4teaspoon saffron threads
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 3ounces fully cooked Spanish chorizo cut in 1/4-inch coins
- 3/4cup finely chopped onion
- 2teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 3/4teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4cups arborio rice
- 1/3cup dry white wine
- 1-- (13.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-- (2-pound) rotisserie chicken, cut in large pieces
- 2/3cup frozen peas
- 2tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- -- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine broth and saffron in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and sauté until just brown and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion and sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in paprika, salt and black pepper. Add rice; toss until well coated. Stir in wine, then drained tomatoes and broth. Cover skillet and transfer to oven; bake 15 minutes.
- Arrange chicken pieces over rice, and scatter peas over the top (do not stir rice). Continue baking, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve straight from the pan with lemon wedges for squeezing over the top.
Recipe by Laraine Perri.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 670
- Fat 31g
- Cholesterol 305mg
- Sodium 1877mg
- Carbohydrate 59g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 40g