Savory Oatmeal with Pine Nuts, Avocado, and Egg
Instead of the rich and heavy usual breakfast suspects, like sausage, bacon, or fried eggs, this recipe features lighter, healthier foods that achieve a balance between protein, carbohydrates, and good fats.
- 1tablespoon pine nuts
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of dried chives
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- 1/2cup organic, steel-cut oats
- 1 egg
- 1/4 avocado, sliced, for garnish
- 1small tomato, finely chopped, for garnish
- Put the pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat. Toast them briefly, swirling the pan.
- When they begin to brown lightly, add the garlic powder, pepper, chives, and chili flakes and stir constantly until the spices are fragrant and the pine nuts are lightly browned.
- Remove promptly from the heat and set aside.
- Bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil and stir in the oats. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Crack the egg and stir it into the oats for about 30 seconds, or until the egg is cooked.
- Transfer the oats to a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle the toasted pine nut mixture over the top and garnish with slices of avocado and chopped tomato.
Reprinted with permission from Dr. Mao’s Secrets of Longevity Cookbook: Eating for Health, Happiness, and Long Life by Maoshing Ni. Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2013.