Sea Scallops with Sugar Snap Peas and Chervil
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
If you don't have chervil, substitute parsley, basil or fennel fronds.
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1pound sugar snap peas, strings removed
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2pounds large sea scallops (20 or 30 scallops), tough muscle removed if still attached
- 1/4teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2cup white wine
- 1tablespoon cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1tablespoon coarsely chopped chervil or other fresh herbs
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add peas and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer peas to a plate and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and add remaining oil. Pat scallops dry and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place scallops in the hot pan, being careful not to overcrowd them (work in 2 batches if necessary). Cook without moving them until browned and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over and continue cooking on the other side until thoroughly cooked, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer scallops to a warm plate.
- Add white wine to skillet. Pour in any juices from the scallops that have accumulated on the plate. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and add butter a few pieces at a time, swirling pan continuously. Add lemon rind and juice and chervil. Add peas to pan and stir to coat with sauce.
- Arrange scallops on 6 warm plates and divide peas and sauce among them.
Recipe adapted with permission from Outstanding in the Field: A Farm to Table Cookbook, by Jim Denevan with Marah Stets (Clarkson Potter, 2008).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 210
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 40mg
- Sodium 880mg
- Potassium 330mg
- Carbohydrate 16g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 20g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 10%
- Vitamin C 20%
- Calcium 6%
- Iron 10%